The Union Budget 2023-24 announced on feb 1, highlighted Tourism as one of the major sectors contributing to the overall economy of the country. Emphasizing the fact that the country has immense attractions for both domestic and foreign tourists, the Finance Minister, Smt. Nirmala Seetharaman, stated that the sector holds huge opportunities for jobs and entrepreneurship for youth in particular and stated that promotion of tourism will be taken up on mission mode, with active participation of states, convergence of government programmes and public-private partnerships.
The ‘Dekho Apna Desh’ initiative of the Ministry of Tourism also got a well deserved spotlight in Union Budget speech, highlighting the importance of domestic tourism in boosting local economy.
Out of the total Rs. 2400 crores allocated to Ministry of Tourism, major portion of the outlay amounting to Rs. 1742 crore is allocated for development of Tourism infrastructure & an amount of Rs. 242 crore for promotion and branding. An outlay of Rs. 1412 crore has been allocated for the Swadesh Darshan Scheme. Swadesh Darshan is a flagship scheme of Ministry of Tourism. The Finance Minister announced that with an integrated and innovative approach, 50 tourist destinations would be developed for providing a wholesome tourism experience providing physical, digital and virtual connectivity, availability of tourist guides and tourist security. Such destinations would be developed as a complete package under the ‘Swadesh Darshan Scheme’. An integrated and innovative ‘Vibrant Village Programme’ for development of tourism infrastructure and facilities in border villages has been proposed.
An amount of Rs. 250 crores has been allocated for the PRASHAD Scheme. The PRASHAD Scheme aims for holistic development of selected pilgrimage destinations in the country.
The Champion Service Sector Scheme has been provided an allocation of Rs. 196.22 crores. Allocation of Rs. 105 crore has been made for Human Resource Development and capacity building to meet the requirement of trained manpower in the tourism and hospitality sector.
The Ministry has earmarked an allocation of Rs. 229 crore for tourism infrastructure, promotion of North-Eastern States under this year’s Budget allocation.
The Finance Minister announced that an App will be developed covering all relevant aspects of tourism. States will be encouraged to set up Unity Malls in State Capital as the most prominent tourism centres to promote One District One Product, GI products, handicrafts and products of other States.
- Rs. 2400 crores allocated to Ministry of Tourism as the sector holds huge opportunities for jobs and entrepreneurship for youth
- 50 tourist destinations to be developed for providing a wholesome tourism experience under ‘Swadesh Darshan Scheme’
- Continued focus on development of large infrastructure, connectivity and border linkages will play a major role in boosting tourism in India: Shri G. Kishan Reddy, Union Minister of Tourism
- Integrated and innovative ‘Vibrant Village Programme’ for development of tourism infrastructure and facilities in border villages proposed
- States to be encouraged to set up Unity Malls in State Capital as the most prominent tourism centres to promote One District One Product, GI products, handicrafts and products of other States.
- Revamping of the credit guarantee scheme for MSMEs through infusion of Rs. 9,000 crore in the corpus, enabling additional collateral-free guaranteed credit of Rs. 2 lakh crore